Brian Watson, an associate at venture firm Union Square Ventures, just put up a great post called Post Money Evaluations about his two year experience working one of the tops firms in the country. Here are 10 key insights on startups from his post:
- VC is about story recognition. Remember the anecdotes (and how they’re resolved), because history often repeats itself.
- Raising money is a trade-off between valuation and control.
- Your reputation is everything. Only make an investment if you are committed for the long term.
- Operating a company is a balance between doing the right thing (strategy) and doing it right (execution).
- Good company culture is when the team feels accountable to each other, implicitly and explicitly.
- Being selective — doing less—keeps you focused.
- Once you have a core product, the goals should be growth, monetization, and happiness.
- When you’re interviewing someone, ask what they don’t/didn’t like…
View original post 108 more words